Now that winter is here, the challenge is how to look fashionably smart while remaining warm. Of course you can do away with smart and style, and look like a cabbage with tons of layers covering your entire person, but a little sense of fashion could help you go a long way to look good this winter.
The real question is, “how do you solve the dilemma of layering your clothes this winter without (1) looking like a penguin, and (2) not sweat like you just went out of a sauna on your way to the UFC weigh-ins? In this article, we’ll teach you some fashion tricks on how you could stay warm while still remain stylish.
Bear in mind that the key to fashion and style this winter is not to treat this chilly season like an enemy. It is nature and you cannot change it. Also, winter is not controlled by an Ice Queen. Instead, looking good this winter is a mindset. If you decide to look good this winter, you will definitely look good – just do not overdo it.
Fashion experts say that less is more, but we know that is not true during the cold season if you take their advice literally. Instead, what they mean is that you can layer your outfit this season without looking like you just came from an Arctic experiment. Karmaloop customers do this well, urban street wear knows how to keep you warm and looking good. Also, with Karmaloop promo codes from fresh-rep-codes.com for karmaloop.com you will do all of this at a low price! We’re talking free shipping and 20% or more off. Another site to checkout for Karmaloop promo codes is http://www.shamelesslysassy.com, she’s got great codes to.
The first thing to do is to layer your clothing. Layering, experts say, will keep you warm without resorting to your inundated mom sweaters of old. Fashion experts suggest that you should start with the thinnest layer possible. Usually, a shirt will do (and we suggest it should be a collared shirt). The next step is to put a sweater on top and have that cute collar stick out through the sweater. The third step is to put on the thickest layer – the blazer. Most women find this style chic and 90 percent of the time women would brave the cold winter season with this look. Fashion experts have different names to this style, but this is usually referred to as the office look.
To be more specific, women can wear camisole under a t-shirt, or perhaps your favorite tank top, while the men could go for inexpensive white cotton t-shirts that you can get in packs of five.
But wait! There is more! Before we get into an infomercial, it is important to note that you do not stop with this three layer outfit. You could combine your layered outfit with some more, while retaining a thinner look. And if you do not have some of these things that we would recommend, we suggest you invest in them, too. So, here are our suggestions:
- Invest in a nice hat and a cute beanie – unless you want to spend your winter in Kingston, Jamaica (which is a good thing, too), having different styles and colors of hats and beanies might turn is ill-advised. What we suggest is that you pick a mainstay of your choice that would reflect your personality. Usually, we would suggest a more neutral-colored hat that would complement your blazer.
For beanies, you can find fashionably stylish ones if you look a little hard enough. Style guru and fashion blogger Jessie Bush of We The People suggest that you need to make sure to have a great beanie. By great he meant a warm beanie that is not synthetic. It should be enough to cover your ears without looking like a Star Wars princess and make sure it does not slip off your head. Jessie recommends the one’s by Mr. Mitten – the black knitted version.
Wait! Let us not forget about the men. To avoid looking like hobos, men should be more particular about their choice of hats during winter season, too. Fashion experts suggest that men should go for their favorite hats, but this time their winter version. A winter fedora, perhaps?
- Invest in a nice winter coat/jacket (and make sure it is stylish) – jackets could be a drag especially if they are as thick as the Great Wall of China. However, bear in mind that they serve a specific function and purpose. Your choice of coat/jacket should reflect your geo-specific needs. If you are from Montreal, do not expect an extremely thin thermal jacket to keep you warm. Rest assured hypothermia will knock on your door.
As for the style, we suggest you follow your hat’s/beanie’s neutral color. Neutral colors are easier to manage and will get you a classier look. Again, Jessie Bush recommends a great coat during winter. A coat is great if it is warm, roomy and easy to wear over anything. Jessie adds that the coat of your choice should be made from wool, leather and sheepskin. That way you can be protected from chilly winds and especially during cold days.
- Get a scarf – Sidney Salim, author of the personal style blog Pose Posh Post, says that you should not forget to add a scarf. It completes your fashionable, stylish look, and you can take them off if you suddenly feel warm. Jessie Bush’s take on scarves is about protecting your neck. He prefers a woolen scarf that is simple and less bulky.
Scarves are inexpensive, but they will serve you a great deal especially during windy chills and extremely cold winter. You can purchase them in a variety of colors, styles, and fabric. All you need to know is how to combine colors and style. Fashion experts suggest that you wear a color that will accent your coat or match your hat. For example, if you are wearing a black coat, it is advised that your scarf should either be dark or light gray. However, it is still your choice if you want to mix colors and prints. Just do not overdo it. Remember, less is more.
- Get them comfortable shoes – one of our favorites that would add class to your winter accoutrements. Make sure that the shoes of your choice cover as much skin as possible to avoid the cold from seeping into your legs. Hey, it is winter. There is no point arguing with you the case of flip-flops in winter. Jessie Bush suggests boots with socks to keep you warmer, but when you need to cover a lot of ground, he vouches for Nike’s Roshe Runs.
Of course that depends on the style of clothing of your choice for that day. Hello? Sneakers and formal skirts and tights? Make sure you have a good style reference to guarantee a sleek or chic look. Just remember that your outfit will determine the shoes that you will be wearing.
- All about tights and leggings – Men, beware! We are not suggesting that you start donning men tights and leggings. This is for women and women only. Women should consider wearing tights and thermal leggings beneath their skirts or dress combined with those sassy boots that we suggested. The thermal leggings will keep you warm and will allow your skin to remain soft and protected from the cold winter elements.
Tights and thermal leggings come in different variety and you can toy with the kind of style that you want. Aubrey O’Hara of the Fashion Examiner has something nice to say about tights and thermal leggings,
“While the thought of thermal makes me envision lumberjack-looking grizzly men, there are plenty of adorable options to pick from as a style-conscious female that will still flatter our figures and keep us feeling toasty as well. Something about that waffle-weave keeps me extra snug in the depths of winter.”
So do not be scared to experiment a bit with your style this winter. Who knows you might strike the kind of style that people would look up to.
- The purse for accessories – this is a non-issue. To be classy and stylish, do not for the bag where you can put your female bare essentials –umbrella, camera, mobile phone, wallet, etc. It entirely depends on your preference what size of your bag will be. Although we advise against bags the size of the fridge. Just make sure that your bag has enough space and that you got all your bare essentials covered.
- Nice pair of gloves – we asked you to cover the skin of your legs with tights, thermal leggings, and boots, and yet you will forget about your gloves this winter? Always find thin gloves or perhaps medium size/thick gloves that will match your outfit. Also, make sure that your gloves match your hat or scarf and the color scheme are seamless.
We have heard many times that clothes makes the man (and definitely a woman!). As a final note, remember that you do not only rely on your clothes or your accessories to make an impression. Sure it is stylish. Sure it is cozy. But what is more important is that you feel good about yourself this winter from the inside-out. Stay warm. From the inside-out.